Tuesday, March 8, 2011

28

28 days. I don't even think about it too much anymore. I just wait for the day I'll wear my vintage ZZ Top Degüello t-shirt. To work. It's a classy, formal, 3/4 length sleeve number. I've worn it about three times, on special occasions only. I'm sure my patients will like it--that's kinda the crowd I work with.

We've now raised more than the targeted amount to keep us wearing these things for 30 days. That's a lot of micro-loans for needy Haitians. I know what it means to have a loan granted that enables an entirely new life, since the same thing was done for me. And by, "for me," I mean, "for us."  That one loan for a business is sustaining a family of four as long as I play my cards right. It's a lot of responsibility, but it's exhilarating at the same time.

The good news? It took a rather ridiculous amount of money for me to start my chiropractic clinic, but in Haiti far less will enable someone to start a business. I'm sure the same amount of highs and lows accompany the launching of a small business when the same responsibilities are on the line. The same possibilities for success are inherent as well. If someone was willing to invest in me, I don't think it's crazy at all to invest in some hard working Haitians who need the same break.

You can't make me wear this shirt another day, but you can make a huge difference in some lives.

GG

No comments:

Post a Comment