Wednesday, March 9, 2011

29


I woke up singing, "Two days left, I'm laughing and singing and having a party..." I thought of my grandfather. Papa was a serious Dolly fan. I couldn't remember the lyrics, so I went online.

Two doors down
They're laughing and drinkin', and having a party
Two doors down
They're not aware that I'm around

Cause here I am

Crying my heart out, feelin' sorry while
They're having a party two doors down


My thoughts went South. Haiti, a 90-minute plane ride from Miami. Two doors down. We are so decadent, wasteful, gluttonous. While they suffer, so close by...

And yet, God has given us what He has- for His good pleasure. Money, things- to share, to give thanks for, but also to just plain enjoy. I am a cocooned butterfly- anticipating first flight in 1 1/2 days. Almost giddy over my closet full of other shirts. I haven't chosen the one, not yet. Suddenly I see that the guilt I'm allowing to shadow this joy is an insult to the Giver, and to all of you.

So I'm not going to remind you of how bad-off things are in Haiti, plead with you not to forget, ask for more donations. Instead...

Bless you! You have been liberal givers. Thank you, thank you! Hugs, kisses, high-fives. Bring me your dirty feet so I can wash them in my bucket. 15 families are getting the chance to turn it around! Oh, that is wonderful! Like Dolly at the end of the song- to have their own parties. Pray for their businesses. That they'll rise up with a shout, jubilant.

No comments:

Post a Comment